Click here to access SAPPO’s latest media releases.
28 January 2011: Proposed changes to SAPPO welfre code on gestation stalls.
The South African Pork Producers’ Organisation (SAPPO) is in continual discussions with the NSPCA in regard to phasing out gestation crates and other aspects of SAPPO’s Welfare Code.
18 March 2013: Loose housing for sows
South African Pork Producers’ Organisation making strides to loose housing for sows. Organisation says not enough credit is given for developments so far to reach targets by 2020.
To access the latest import figures, click on Imports on the menu left.
To access the latest prices on raw materials, click on Raw Materials in the menu left.
Dates of SAPPO’s Executive Council meetings:
24 July 2013, 4 and 5 September 2013 (annual general meeting) and 6 November 2013.
Provincial AGMs: Free State (31 July), PPP (7 August), Western Cape (27 August)
Click here to access a PDF version of the latest edition of SAPPO’s:
magazine Porcus (March/April 2013).
Click here to access Porcus’ advertising tariffs.
Click here to access the latest version of SAPPO’s electronic
Click on Research in the menu left to download the following research reports:
• Review of African Swine Fever; transmission, spread and control
By Mary-Louise Penrith and Wilna Vosloo
• A review of the causes and control of boar taint
By Stefan Guizot
• The use of prebiotics and probiotics in pigs: A review
By Dr Louise Maré
• Mycotoxins in pigs: A South African perspective
By Dr Hannes Viljoen
• A review of the use of plants as ethno-veterinary medical replacement for antibiotic growth promoters
• How pig pre-slaughter welfare affects pork quality and the pig industry
Voster Muchenje and Saymore P. Ndou
• Feed intake, growth and carcass composition of weaned piglets receiving varying levels of valine and leucine in their diets
Friedel Valentin Meyer
Click on Acts in the menu left to download PDF versions of the important Acts that impact on your business. These include environmental Acts, Acts dealing with water and ground water management, animal improvement and identification as well as guidelines and standards that pig producers should take note of.